- In this article, we analyze the phenomenon of comparative advertising and lexico-semantic features of its operation in the communication and translation process. The scope of comparative advertising determines the use of appropriate linguistic means in advertising texts, which complicates the process of translating an advertisement. The research of fast-food advertisement is determined by the focus of study of modern linguistics on the study of polysemiotic nature of communication, expression of the verbal component in the communicative space. These problems cause the relevance of scientific understanding of fast food restaurant advertising peculiarities, which are represented by verbal and nonverbal units.
This paper makes a study of such lexico-semantic peculiarities as colloquial spelling, blending, nonce words, purposeful misspelling of anthroponyms and analyzes the peculiarities and complications that rise up during translation through contextual-interpretative method, component analysis, and pragmatic discourse analysis. The verbal features of comparative advertising include the use of such a lexical reception as a pun intended, or a game of words in the ad text. The study revealed non-verbal ways of representing information about the networks of fast food establishments in the modern communicative space. Advertising texts combine a complex of lexical, grammatical and syntactic-stylistic difficulties determined by their pragmatic specifics. That is why they are a unique educational material for future translators.
- advertisement, comparative advertising, pragmatics, locutionary target, locutionary source
- 1. Access mode : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLuQQH1OHA.
2. Beard F. Comparative Advertising Wars: An Historical Analysis of Their Causes and Consequences // Journal of Macromarketing. – 2010. – 30 (3). – 270 p. – 286.doi:10.1177/0276146710372222.
3. Cook G. The Discourse of Advertising / G. Cook. – [2nd ed.]. – London and New York : Routledge, 2006. – 256 p.
4. Jenkins H. Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide / H. Jenkins. –New York : New York University Press, 2006. – 308 p.
5. Kenesei I. Perspectives on Semantics, Pragmatics and Discourse: a Festchrift for Ferenc Kiefer / I. Kenesei, R. Harnish. – Amsterdam, Philadelphia : John Benjamin Pub. Co., 2001. – 348p.
6. Krapp George P. The psychology of dialect writing. [Електронний ресурс] – Режим доступу : http://qoo.by/Jyt.
7. Mills B. Comparative advertising: should it be allowed? // European Intellectual Property Review. – 1995. – Vol. 17, No. 9. – pp. 417–430.
8. Socialgraphic Comparison: Dunkin’ Donuts vs. Starbucks [Electronic resource] / Truelens-blog. – Access mode : http://truelens-blog.growepic.com/socialgraphic-comparison-dunkin-donuts-vs-starbucks/.
9. Rebrii O. V. Prahmatychnyi aspekt perekladu reklamnykh tekstiv / O. V. Rebrii // Visnyk Kharkivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu im. V. N. Karazina. – 2003. – № 609. – S. 41–45.
10. Chulanova H.V., Artiukh V. V. Leksyko-semantychni osoblyvosti porivnialnoi reklamy zakladiv shvydkoho kharchuvannia / Chulanova H. V., Artiukh V. V. // Nauchnyye trudy SWorld. Vypusk 45. Tom 6. – Ivanovo: Naychyi mir, 2016. – S. 44–49.
- Download full version