- Nowadays the language learning issue is especially acute, therefore in the context of educational system reforming, consolidated efforts are directed to determine the most perfect and qualitative way of foreign language teaching. To make language learning the most effective, in the educational system continuity must be facilitated and achieved. Continuity is manifested in the sequence and systematic arrangement of the educational material, through the connection and coordination of the stages of teaching and educational work, which is ensured in the transition in the narrow sense from one activity to another, and on a larger scale from one academic year to the next year, from one level to another. Ensuring of continuity in the teaching process is a prerequisite for comprehension of the learned material at a deeper level, reinforcement of the gained knowledge by newly received information, the new relationships disclosure, what gradually results in increasing the quality of knowledge, skills and abilities, improving the level of a foreign language mastery and broadening the total stock of the background knowledge.
The article investigates continuity, as one of the compulsory principles of foreign language teaching and learning in general education schools. The main focus is on the research concerning implementation of continuity principle during transition from primary to secondary school.
Analysis of the educational system has determined that the principle of continuity in foreign language teaching is often negated and unimplemented during transition from primary to secondary school. As a consequence, a significant quantity of problems is originated in the educational process. It causes the necessity to elaborate ways of solving problems and to implement them as a matter of actual practice.
- continuity in teaching, foreign language, transition, primary school, secondary school, general education school, principle of continuity, educational process
- 1. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro osvitu» [The Act of Ukraine «On education»]. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady (VVR), 2017, № 3839, st. 380. – Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2145-19. – (01.05.2018).
2. Natsionalna doktryna rozvytku osvity Ukrainy u XXI stolitti [«The national policy for development of education in the XXI century»] : Dokument 347/2002, potochna redaktsiia [Pryiniattia vid 17.04.2002]. – Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/347/2002/. – (29.04.2018).
3. Honcharenko, S. U. (1997). Ukrainskyi pedahohichnyi slovnyk. [Ukrainian pedagogy dictionary]. Kyiv, Ukraine: Vydavnytstvo «Lybid» pry Kyivskomu universyteti, 1997. – 374 s.
4. Kolesnykova, V. F. (2000). Psykholohiia nastupnosti [Psychology of continuity]. Kyiv, Ukrainne: Nauk. svit, 2000. – 82 s.
5. Kustov, Yu. A. (2002). Upravlinnia yakistiu osvity na osnovi pryntsypu nastupnosti. Navchalnyi posibnyk [Quality control of education in accordance with the continuity principle. Educational guidance]. Toliatti, Russia: vyd-vo Toliattinskoho derzh. un-tu, 2002. – 203 s.
6. Markova, A. K. (1990). Formyrovanye motyvatsyy uchenyia v shkolnom vozraste. Posobye dlia uchytelia [Formation of learning motivation at school age. Guidance for a teacher]. Moscow. Russia: Moscow, 1990. 96 s.
7. Black, P., Wiliam, D. (1998). Assessment and classroom learning. Assessment in Education. Retrieved from http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JrHMtgSP_EJ:area.fc.ul.pt/artigos%2520publicados%2520internacionais/Assessment%2520and%2520classroom%2520learning.doc+&cd=2&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ua. (24.04.2018).
8. Pro zatverdzhennia Derzhavnoho standartu pochatkovoi zahalnoi osvity. Postanova Kabinetu ministriv Ukrainy [On approval of public standard of primary general education. Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine]. (vid 20 kvitnia 2011 r. № 462). Retrieved from http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/462-2011-%D0%BF. – (01.05.2018).
9. Chambers, G. (2014). Transition in modern languages from primary to secondary school. The challenge of change. Language Learning Journal. – №42 (3). Retrieved from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09571736.2012.708052. – (26.04.2018).
10. Metodyka navchannia inozemnykh mov u serednikh navchalnykh zakladakh. (2002). [Methodology of foreign language teaching in secondary educational institutions]. O. B. Bihych, N. O. Brazhnyk, S. V. Haponova [ta in.] ; pid kerivn. S. Yu. Nikolaievoi. Kyiv, Ukraine : Lenvit, 2002. 328 s.
11. Hurrell, A. (1995). The Increasing Importance of Foreign Language Learning in the Primary Curriculum. Retrieved from https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=XU1lrmkScXwC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=17.%09Hurrell,+A.+1995.+The+Increasing+Importance+of+Foreign+Language+Learning+in+the+Primary+Curriculum&source=bl&ots=HXdHcvGr_2&sig=vWBKpnANNw8ISb8TyYRYfNsvwwI&hl=ru&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuvfSu6rbAhURDuwKHeZhAP4Q6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=17.%09Hurrell%2C%20A.%201995.%20The%20Increasing%20Importance%20of%20Foreign%20Language%20Learning%20in%20the%20Primary%20Curriculum&f=false. – (24.04.2018).
- Download full version