- The most common way of creating industry terms is syntactic. The advantage of terminological phrases over
word terms is in their ability to express more concepts that are complex. In this article, terminological phrases of
the railway industry are analyzed in a new perspective. Structural models of analytical terms with the component
“car” were investigated, among which the most productive were selected.
In analytical terms, the component “car” acts either as the main word, the core of the phrase, or the dependent
word. However, the component position may change when creating higher order phrases. There are two-, three-,
four-and multi-component analytical terms. The most common are two- and three-component terms. For the two-
component terms with the token, the “car” in the main position is the most productive model “adjective (participle)
+ noun”. Two-component terms with the token “car” in the dependent position are created exclusively on the model
“noun + noun”. Among the three-component prevails the terms with the token “car” in the dependent position.
Productive models of their creation are “adjective + noun + noun” and “noun + noun + noun”.
The productivity of the “car” component in term formation is explained by the fact that it refers to narrowly
specialized terms and stands for one of the main railway vehicles.
- component “car”, terminological terms, structural model, noun, adjective.
- Panko, T. I., Kochan, M. and Matsiuk, H. P. (1994). Ukrainske terminoznavstvo: pidruchnyk [Ukrainian Terminology. Textbook]. Lviv, Ukraine: Svit.
- Garashchenko, L. B. (2013). Bahatokomponentni terminolohichni odynytsi zahalnotekhnichnoi terminosystemy. In V.L. Ivashchenko (Ed.) Terminolohichnyi visnyk, 2(2), 65– Kyiv, Ukraine: Instytut ukrainskoi movy NANU.
- Doroshenko, S. (2013). Ukrainska terminolohiia naftohazovoi promyslovosti: stanovlennia i rozvytok [Ukrainian terminology of oil and gas industry. Formation and development]. Poltava, Ukraine: PoltNTU.
- Zhukova, O. T. (2015). Syntaksychnyi sposib tvorennia terminiv haluzi zaliznychnoho transportu [Syntactical way of term building in railway transport sphere]. Naukovyi visnyk Mizhnarodnoho humanitarnoho universytetu. Seriia Filolohiia, 15 (1), 32–34.
- Rybenok, V. V. (2013). Hramatychna struktura analitychnykh nominatsii u zaliznychnii terminolohii
(na materiali ukrainskoi movy) [Grammatical structure of analytical nominations in railway terminology (based on the material of the Ukrainian language)]. Naukovi zapysky. Seriia Filolohichna, 36, 67–70. Ostroh, Ukraine: Ostrozka akademiia.
- Malyi rosiisko-ukrainskyi slovnyk zaliznychnykh terminiv [Small Russian-Ukrainian dictionary of railway terms]. (1992). Kiev, Transport Ukrainy. 48 p.
- Vatulia, L. P. & Fomenko, V. S. (2000). Rosiisko-ukrainskyi slovnyk zaliznychnykh terminiv [Russian-Ukrainian Dictionary of railway terms] (V. Sobolev, Ed.). Kyiv, Ukraine: Transport Ukrainy.
- Bodnar, B. Ye., Bocharova, O. O. & Kolbun, V. V. (2005). Rosiisko-ukrainskyi terminolohichnyi slovnyk: Vahony ta vahonne hospodarstvo. Lokomotyvy [Russian-Ukrainian Terminological Dictionary: Cars and carriage facilities. Locomotives]. Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine: Vydavnytstvo Dnipropetrovskoho natsionalnoho universytetu zaliznychnoho transportu imeni akademika V. Lazariana.
- Vasilyev, N. N., et al. (1941). Tekhnicheskij zheleznodorozhnyj slovar’ [Technical railway dictionary]. Moscow, Russia. Retrieved April 10–20, 2018 from http://enc-dic.com/railway
- Toropov, B. I. (2013). Slovnyk osnovnykh transportnykh i sumizhnykh terminiv [Dictionary of basic transport and adjacent terms]. Kyiv, Ukraine: Derzhavnyi ekonomiko-tekhnologichnyi universytet transportu, NVO HIPROTRANS.
- Korniichuk, M. P., Lypovets, N. V., & Shamrai, D. O. (2006). Tekhnolohiia haluzi i tekhnichni zasoby zaliznychnoho transportu [The technology brunch office and technical means of railway transport] (Part 1,
1–6). Kyiv, Ukraine: Delta.
- Korniichuk, M. P., Lypovets, N. V., & Shamrai, D. O. (2007). Tekhnolohiia haluzi i tekhnichni zasoby zaliznychnoho transportu [The technology brunch office and technical means of railway transport] (Part 2). Kyiv, Ukraine: Delta.
- Download full version