- This article deals with advertising discourse and suggestive potential in advertising texts. Advertising discourse is considered as integral element of modern culture and society. Today advertising is a communication element, which combines participants of global market. An important factor of the suggestion is the preliminary reinforcement on the authority by the source of influence. It should be noted that the effectiveness of a suggestion depends on trust or distrust of the source information (the addresser) that affects perceptions. The effect of suggestion is described as correlation of linguistic factors and extralinguistic factors which actualized due to different lexico-semantic transformations. Suggestion by verbal means, that is the linguistic influence on the subsequent behavior of the addressee, is created as a result of the mutual effect of a large number of linguistic and extra-linguistic factors that constitute an act of communication. The text of an advertisement is the best example of the most effective use of linguistic means for the purpose of suggestion. Non-verbal component in advertising texts is represented by illustrative elements (illustration, photo); font (different size, type and color); way of placing marks on the page (direction), the color of the background. It is an integral part of advertising, which can not only emphasize and enhance the effect of the text, but also completely replace it. Our research is focused upon the translation aspect of investigation. It should be taken into account the specifics of both languages and the suggestive effect that this text should pass on to the consumer. The lexico-semantic transformations in the translation will allow any text to be adapted to the language of translation and will achieve the maximum effect of reproducing the original message and preserving its suggestive potential.
- advertising discourse, advertising texts, suggestive potential, translation aspect, lexico-semantic transformations, communication
- 1. Porpulit O.O. Criteria for evaluating the quality of the translation of the advertising text / O.О. Porpulit. – О. : Astroprynt, 2009. – P. 161–171.
2. Kokhtiev N. The word in advertising / N. Kokhtiev. – M. : Ekonomika, 1978. – 232 p.
3. Hawkins D. The Effects of Subliminal Stimulation on Drive Level and Brand Preference / D. Hawkins // Journal of Marketing Research, 1970. – 7, № 8. – 422 p.
4. Trofimov Yu. L., Honcharuk P. A. and others. Psychology : manual; edited by Yu. L. Trofimov. – К.: Lybid, 2000. – 558 p.
5. Bielova A. D. Linguistic aspects of argumentation / A. D. Bielova. – Kyiv : KNU, 1997. – 300 p.
6. Krutko T. V. Advertising in the virtual space in English. / T. V. Krutko. – Kh., 2006. – 216 p.
7. Miche Bag [Electronic resource] // Miche. – Access mode : https://www.miche-bag.eu. – (02.10.2018).
8. Gucci [Electronic resource] // Gucci. – Access mode : https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb. – (03.10.2018).
9. Naumenko L. P. Practical course of translation from English into Ukrainian : manual. / L. P. Naumenko, A. Hordieieva. – Vinnytsia : Nova knyha, 2011. – 138 p.
10. Orange [Electronic resource] // Orange. – Access mode : https://ee.co.uk/orange. – (02.10.2018).
11. McDonald’s [Electronic resource] // McDonald’s. – Access mode : https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us.html. – (04.10.2018).
12. Dove [Electronic resource] // Dove. – Access mode : http://www.dove.com/us/en/washing-and-bathing/body-wash/go-fresh-cool-moisture-body-wash.html. – (05.10.2018).
13. Volkswagen [Electronic resource] // Volkswagen. – Access mode : https://www.volkswagen.com. – (03.10.2018).
14. Zooplus [Electronic resource] // Zooplus. – Access mode : https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs. – (01.10.2018).
15. Maybelline [Electronic resource] // Maybelline. – Access mode : https://www.maybelline.co.uk. – (04.10.2018).
- Download full version